Saturday, January 19, 2008

Discount brokers

I was talking to a seller the other day.

They had been with a discount broker for over a year. They never got updates on the status of their home sale. Rarely were updated or called by their disount broker. Ultimatley, they felt that their agent didn't do anything to get their home sold.

My response to them was, "well, when the agent has little incentive to adequatley market your home then you kinda get what you pay for".

When I take a listing, I spendfrom $500 to $800 to market your home. In this market, putting a lawn sign out and crossing your fingers does notwork. Marketing will move your home.

In one case, I took an expired listing that had been on the market with a discount broker that didn't even advertise the sellers home in MLS. The sellers paid $2,500 UPFRONT for the "marketing" service that basically was a BuyOwner sign that was mailed out to them and a spot on their website that generated very little traffic. Never pay anyone upfront for a service that you are paying them to do which is to sell your home. I don't sell your home? I don't get paid.

No comments: